Beware of potential scams when visiting Underwater World Pattaya. This article aims to provide a concise overview of prevalent tourist scams while also offering valuable tips for safeguarding yourself.
Underwater World Pattaya offers a captivating underwater experience with its extensive indoor tunnels showcasing a variety of saltwater and freshwater species, including sharks, rays, arapaima, and more.
Additional attractions in Pattaya Underwater World include a jellyfish zone, otter tank, reptile zone, sea turtles, touch pool, and a fish-feeding pool. While a visit typically takes around an hour, there are other nearby attractions worth exploring.
Pattaya Floating Market is just 3.4 kilometers south on Sukhumvit highway, followed by Mimosa at 6.6 kilometers and Cartoon Network Water Park at 12.7 kilometers.
Pattaya Underwater World Address: 22/22 Moo 11, Sukhumvit Road, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150, Thailand
Getting scammed In Underwater World Pattaya
During our visit to Pattaya Underwater World, we encountered a seemingly friendly Bhat Bus driver who had taken us there. He inquired if we had already purchased tickets, and upon learning that we hadn't, he and his companion offered to assist us in acquiring them.
Upon reaching the Water World's ticket counter, they engaged in a conversation with a staff member in Thai that appeared to resemble a negotiation.
Subsequently, they proposed a ticket price of 600 baht per person, urging us to act swiftly as the attraction was scheduled to close by 4 pm (actually the Pattaya Underwater World is open every day from 09:00 to 06:00, last admission at 05:30.), implying that we might miss the entrance if we delayed.
In the midst of this, we took a moment to explore online ticket options and discovered that they were not only available but also more cost-effective.
Actually, they inflated the ticket price, quoting it at 600 baht, whereas the official counter price was: for adult foreigners 500 baht, children 90 – 130 cm height 300 baht, for children below 90 cm is free, and online purchases (Ticket2Attraction) were available at an even affordable rate, which is 279 Baht (adult foreigners) and 190 Baht (child foreigners).
When we expressed our intention to purchase tickets online, the Bhat Bus driver and his companion asserted that it was not permitted. Undeterred, we initiated a conversation with the counter lady, who initially remained unresponsive.
However, after persistently seeking clarification, she reluctantly informed us that there would be an approximate one-hour wait for online ticket purchases.
Resolute in our decision to secure online tickets, we conveyed our willingness to wait. This decision triggered an agitated response from the Bhat Bus driver and his companion, who engaged in an animated exchange in Thai. It appeared as though they were expressing their frustration with us for not opting to buy tickets through them.
Fortunately, a compassionate Thai lady observed the situation and intervened by addressing the Bhat Bus driver and his friend. As a result, they departed from the scene, allowing us to proceed inside without further delay.
Although the counter lady initially displayed some frustration, the situation eventually calmed, and we were able to enjoy our trip to Underwater World Pattaya.
Some Insights Into What Might Have Happened
- Friendly Taxi Driver: It's not uncommon for taxi drivers to strike up conversations with tourists and offer assistance. Sometimes, they may genuinely want to help, while at other times, they may have ulterior motives.
- Ticket Purchase: When the taxi driver and his friend offered to help buy tickets, they may have intended to profit from this by charging a higher price.
- Bargaining at the Counter: Their negotiation with the counter lady could have been an attempt to secure a commission for bringing to the water park, which is a common practice in tourist areas.
- Online Ticket Option: It's good to explore the option of buying tickets online, as it's often a more cost-effective way to purchase them. However, sometimes there may be some restrictions or waiting times associated with online ticket purchases.
- Language Barrier: The communication issue may have arisen due to a language barrier. It's possible that the taxi driver and his friend were frustrated that their scam didn't work as they planned.
Some Key Points To Avoid Falling Victim At Pattaya Underwater World
- Pre-Book Tickets Online:
- Purchase your tickets in advance through official websites or authorized ticket vendors before arriving at Pattaya Underwater World. This ensures you get a fair price and avoids on-site pressure.
- Research Ticket Prices:
- Prior to your visit, research the standard ticket prices for Underwater World Pattaya. This knowledge will help you recognize overpriced offers.
- Be Wary of Overly Helpful Strangers:
- Exercise caution when approached by individuals who seem overly eager to help with ticket purchases. Scammers often pose as friendly guides to exploit tourists.
- Avoid On-Site Ticket Purchases:
- Resist buying tickets from individuals near the ticket counter who claim it's the only way to gain entry. Stick to official channels.
- Question Delays for Online Tickets:
- If someone discourages you from buying tickets online by claiming long delays, be skeptical. Verify this information independently.
- Local Intervention:
- If you suspect a scam, seek assistance from other tourists or locals who can guide you to the official ticket counter or offer advice.
- Stay Calm and Confident:
- Scammers may become aggressive or pushy if they sense you are hesitant. Stay calm, assertive, and resolute in your decision to purchase tickets through legitimate means.
- Ignore Pressure Tactics:
- Resist high-pressure sales tactics and don't succumb to any form of intimidation. Take your time to make an informed decision.
- Report Suspicious Activity:
- If you encounter individuals attempting to scam tourists, report their behavior to the authorities or security personnel at the attraction.
- Trust Official Sources:
- Trust information from official sources and always confirm details directly with Underwater World Pattaya's official website or customer service if you have doubts.
By following these precautions, you can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to scams and ensure a more enjoyable and hassle-free experience when visiting Underwater World Pattaya or any other tourist destination.
1. What is Underwater World Pattaya?
Underwater World Pattaya is an aquarium and aquatic attraction located in Pattaya, Thailand. It features indoor walk-through tunnels where visitors can observe a wide variety of marine life, including sharks, rays, arapaima, and more.
2. How much does it cost to enter Underwater World Pattaya for Adult Foreigners?
The entry fee to Underwater World Pattaya can vary depending on the type of ticket and whether you purchase it in advance or at the counter. Prices typically range from 279 baht (online purchase price) to 500 baht (counter price) or more for adult foreigners.
3. Are there any online ticket options available?
Yes, Pattaya Underwater World offers online ticket purchasing options, which are often more cost-effective than buying tickets at the counter. It's recommended to check their official website or websites like “Ticket2Attraction” for current prices and promotions.
4. What are the main attractions at Underwater World Pattaya?
Some of the main attractions at Underwater World Pattaya include the indoor walk-through tunnels, a jellyfish zone, otter tank, reptile zone, sea turtles, a touch pool, and a fish-feeding pool.
5. How long does it take to explore Pattaya Underwater World?
A visit to Pattaya Underwater World typically takes around one to two hours, depending on your pace and interest in the exhibits.
6. Is Underwater World Pattaya suitable for children?
Yes, Underwater World Pattaya is family-friendly and is a great place for children to learn about marine life and enjoy interactive exhibits.
7. Can I take photos and videos inside Underwater World Pattaya?
Yes, visitors are generally allowed to take photos and videos inside the attraction for personal use. However, it's advisable to check for any specific photography restrictions.
8. Are there nearby attractions to visit after Underwater World Pattaya?
Yes, there are several attractions within easy reach of Underwater World Pattaya, including the Pattaya Floating Market, Mimosa, Cartoon Network Water Park, and more. You can access these attractions via public transportation or private vehicles.
9. Is there a recommended time to visit Underwater World Pattaya to avoid crowds?
To avoid larger crowds, it's advisable to visit Underwater World Pattaya during weekdays or during non-peak hours. Early mornings or late afternoons can also be quieter times.
10. What should I do if I encounter suspicious ticket offers or scams?
If you encounter individuals offering suspiciously overpriced tickets or other scams, it's best to decline their offers and report their behavior to the attraction's staff or security personnel for assistance. Always purchase tickets through official channels to ensure a fair price and a legitimate experience.
In conclusion, while Underwater World Pattaya can be a fantastic destination for aquatic enthusiasts and families, it's essential to be aware of potential scams that might surround your visit.
By staying informed, researching ticket prices, and making use of official ticketing options, you can ensure a hassle-free experience and protect yourself from unscrupulous individuals looking to take advantage of tourists.
We encourage our readers and fellow travelers to share their knowledge and experiences. Do you know of any additional scams in Pattaya or have insights to share about your travels in this beautiful city? Your input can help others stay informed and make the most of their trips.
Please share this article on your social media platforms to raise awareness among your friends and family about Pattaya scams. Together, we can create a safer and more enjoyable travel experience for everyone.
Additionally, if you have valuable information about tourism scams anywhere in the world, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your insights can contribute to our collective effort to combat scams and ensure safer travel experiences worldwide.
- How to Avoid Krabi Travel Scams
- Phuket Travel Scams Exposed
- Watch Out for Tuk-Tuk Scams in Thailand
- Spotlight on Chiang Mai Scams
- Pattaya Travel Scams Uncovered
- Bangkok Scams Exposed
Explore the journey with safety!